fitnessfitnessfitness
  • Do you want to treat or prevent urinary incontinence?
  • Do you want to treat or prevent hernias (inguinal, umbilical, disk)?
  • Do you want to treat or prevent organ prolapse (uterine, bladder, rectum)?
  • Do you want to have less pelvic congestion and more pelvic blood circulation and thus better sexual function?
  • Do you want to tone the abdominals and reduce waist size?
  • Do you want to normalize posture and muscle tensions?
  • Do you want to recover your core after having a baby?

If any of those sounds like desirable outcomes for you or your clients, you can’t miss the UK inaugural workshops for professionals (physical therapists, midwives, personal trainers, etc.) for the Hypopresive Techniques in April 2012!!!

Click here to reserve your spot now!

Dr. Marcel Caufriez is the creator of the Hypopresive Techniques. He has been developing them since 1980 when he saw that a woman’s uterine prolapse reduce during a vaginal exam when she performed diaphragmatic aspiration. From here the techniques have developed into a very sophisticated system of physical therapy treatments for functional pathologies (urinary, digestive, and vascular), preventative methods, birth facilitation, and performance enhancement.

Benefits of Hypopresive Exercise Techniques include:

  • Reduction of waist size and flattening the abdominal wall (average 8% reduction)
  • Increase in abdominal and pelvic floor muscle tone (average 58% increase)
  • Decrease in pelvic congestion
  • Static and biomechanic normalization of the pelvic viscera
  • Prevention and treatment of incontinence and prolapses
  • Improvements in sexual sensations and ability to orgasm
  • Normalization of posture (especially posterior chain)
  • Improvements in vascularization of the lower limbs
  • Activation of the sympathetic nervous system

Hypopresive Techniques are global neuromyostatic techniques that adjust musculo-tendinous tension in visceral, parietal, and skeletal tissues. Hypopresive exercises are done in postures that reduce intra-abdominal pressure and stimulate an REFLEX contraction of the pelvic floor and core muscles. This is the key difference between Hypopresive exercises and any other exercise program for the core. All other programs (pilates, core stability, etc.) use VOLUNTARY contractions.

Dr. Marcel Caufriez teaches professionals and clients to respect the body’s ecophysiology. This means if the pelvic floor is mostly made up of type I (tonic) fibers most of our exercises should stimulate a reflex contraction of these fibers. If only 5-15% of the pelvic floor musculature respond to voluntary contraction training then only 5-15% of the exercises should be focusing on those fibers. For example, to respect that ecophysiology of the pelvic floor, about 90% should be Hypopresives and 10% could be other techniques for the type II fibers.

The same applies to the abdominals. About 75% of the abdominal muscles are made up of type I fibers, thus, about 75% of our abdominal exercises should be using Hypopresives to stimulate these fibers. The rest of the abdominal training can include a mixture of methods to stimulate the other 25% of the muscle fibers.

What becomes important is doing all this in a proper sequence. It is essential that the proper programming of the involuntary function of the core be established first before adding training for the voluntary function. In other words, the tonic tone of the core needs to be reprogrammed first before moving on to exercises for the phasic muscle fibers. This is because due to neural co-activation of the muscle fibers in these areas, the more hyperpresive exercises are done for the voluntary muscle fibers, the further the involuntary fibers will be deactivated.

This was demonstrated in a study in 2007 by Caufriez. The subjects performed traditional abdominal exercises (stimulating type II fibers) during six weeks. The results showed that this caused the base tone (involuntary function) of the pelvic floor to decrease by 32.7%. Therefore, not only are typical abdominal exercises ineffective, they actually cause pelvic floor and core base tone weakness. Base tone weakness is directly related to incontinence and prolapses as generally all women with urinary incontinence have poor pelvic floor muscle tone while only about half have poor pelvic floor muscle strength.

Be Sociable, Share!
  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • youtube

Twitter updates

No public Twitter messages.

Popular Posts

Diaphragm: the forgotten...

If your exercise science university education was similar ...

The Missing Test...

How do you know if your clients are ...

Three requirements for...

  Here we go!  The inagural post for the ...

You’ve been lied...

What shape is the pelvic floor?   If I asked ...

Incorporating Hypopresive Techniques...

Incorporating Hypopresive Techniques into a Fitness Program   Hypopresive techniques ...